Saturday, June 9, 2007

Why Israel?...Well, I'm Glad You Asked

You might be asking yourself why in the name of Adonai’s green earth I have this innate desire to travel halfway around the world just to play baseball. What, with all of the tumult surrounding the region, its neighboring countries, and the fact that the majority of media coverage coming out of the middle east deems the region as perilous, one would think that it would be senseless to take part in a league where fan support is not even guaranteed. But as usual, things are not always what they seem.
My first and only visit to Israel took place in December 2005, at a time when the country was in an even more heightened state of alert than it is now. Car bombs, cafe explosions, and "martyrs" killing many Israeli's were being shown on American news channels almost daily. Sure, my family was concerned about my safety, but I knew that the group I was with would take all of the necessary precautions to keep us safe. Needless to say I can now classify that trip as one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.
As a reform Jew living in America, I only knew about Israel based on two things: what people with firsthand knowledge had told me and what I had read from articles and books. People I talked to however always ended those conversations with, “…but you have to go and experience the feeling for yourself.” Coming back from that ten day trip I realized what all of the fuss was about.
Swimming in the Dead Sea, climbing Masada before sunrise, living for three days on a kibbutz, seeing the Temple Mount and touching the Kotel were all part of that indescribable experience. Nevertheless, that trip whizzed by like a 95mph Roger Clemens fastball over the head of a hitter getting a little too close to the plate circa 1993.
In addition to the fact that I’ll be playing the game I love, I will be able to play it in the country that feels like a second home to me. It would be foolish for me to get philosophical and say that when I went there, I felt the spirits of my ancestors who first walked that barren desert almost four thousand years ago. But what I can say is that in a world where Jews are not only the minority, but also bare the brunt of many off color jokes, snide comments, and myopic remarks, it’s nice to look around and see someone just like you. The opportunity for me to play baseball and give back to the Israeli community is something that I truly am looking forward to.
For those of you who are not Jewish and can't relate to what I’m describing, take the time to remind yourself that even Jesus was a Jew, well for a little while at least. If you are Jewish and have been there, you know what I’m talking about. And If you are Jewish and haven’t visited yet, maybe you should go sooner rather than later to see what all the fuss is about

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a great time. You deserve it!! We will miss you. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

fabulous,fantastic relative of our's.we are so proud.have a great time,stay well and be safe,love the "hackers" ox
june 12,2007 8:22 pm